Daily Current Affairs May 10
Have complete information about National News by reading below Current Affairs May 10
Two-wheeler helmets to have mandatory BIS certification: Nitin Gadkari.
- Union minister Nitin Gadkari said two-wheeler helmets should have mandatory certification of BIS and having ‘two-wheelers’ marking in word or picture on them.
- The new helmets to be designed on the recommendations of a committee will also be India-specific and will weigh at least 300 grams less than the existing ones.
- The steps are aimed at not only bringing down the road fatalities but also to promote the usage of a helmet while riding a two-wheeler without compromising safety.
Haryana CM meets Israel president, discusses farmers’ issues.
- Haryana chief minister Manohar Lal Khattar called on the President of Israel, Reuven Rivlin, at his residence in Jerusalem.
- He applauded the efforts made by the chief minister to improve the life of farmers in Haryana.
- Recalling his visit to Gharounda in Haryana in November last year, the President said that the state is doing a wonderful job in every field of development, right from agriculture to industry.
President Kovind to visit Siachen base camp today.
- President Ram Nath Kovind will visit the Siachen base camp in Jammu and Kashmir today.
- Siachen is considered as the highest battlefield in the world.
- He will be the first president to visit this camp since the visit of the then president APJ Abdul Kalam in 2004.
India, Ethiopia vow to boost counter-terror cooperation.
- External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj today held talks with her Ethiopian counterpart Workneh Gebeyehu.
- They had a meeting to strengthen ties in key areas such as combating terrorism, trade and investment, and development partnership.
- Swaraj and Gebeyehu led their respective delegations for the second Joint Committee Meeting.
- The two sides exchanged views on strengthening relations in areas such as counter-terrorism, trade and investment, development partnership, capacity building, science and technology.
Punjab, Haryana, Rajasthan asked to use water judiciously.
- The Bhakra and Beas Management Board (BBMB) on Wednesday asked Punjab, Haryana and Rajasthan to use water judiciously, saying the water inflow into the Bhakra and Pong reservoirs is low this year.
- A technical committee meeting attended by representatives of the three states was held here to decide about the water release.
- The water level in Bhakra dam, built on Sutlej river, was marked at 1,523 feet today, about 10 feet lower than what it was recorded on the same day last year.
- The water level in Pong dam, built on Beas River, was about eight feet lower than what it was on the same day in 2017. Pong dam’s level was recorded at 1,291 feet.
Latest International Current Affairs May 10 Updates from around the globe.
China’s heavy military transport aircraft conducts first airborne training.
- China’s Y-20 heavy military transport aircraft has undergone its first airborne and air delivery training.
- It marked a leap in the air force’s strategic delivery and long-distance airborne combat abilities.
- The air force is a strategic service, and its strategic capability should be in line with the constantly expanding national interests.
- The Y-20, which joined the People’s Liberation Army Air Force in July 2016 and has a maximum take-off weight of around 200 tonnes.
Mahathir, 92, to be sworn in as Malaysia prime minister after historic poll win.
- Malaysia’s Mahathir Mohamad will be sworn in as the world’s oldest elected leader on Thursday.
- After his opposition alliance pulled off a stunning election win, ending six decades of rule by a coalition he once led.
- Mahathir led the Southeast Asian nation for 22 years and his unexpected return to the prime ministership ends the previously unbroken rule of Barisan Nasional.
World Bank denies reports that Nawaz Sharif laundered $4.9 billion to India.
- The World Bank has denied as “incorrect” media reports in Pakistan that former prime minister Nawaz Sharif allegedly laundered $4.9 billion to India.
- World Bank in a statement said, “In the past day, there have been media reports citing the World Bank’s Remittances and Migration Report of 2016.
- The World Bank’s Remittances and Migration Report is an effort by the World Bank to estimate migration and remittances numbers across the world.
Check out the latest trending business Current Affairs May 10 updates by reading the news.
Walmart picks up 77% stake in Flipkart for $16 billion.
- India’s largest e-commerce company Flipkart on Wednesday agreed to sell 77 per cent stake to US retail giant Walmart for $16 billion.
- Walmart will pay approximately $16 billion for an initial stake of approximately 77 percent in Flipkart.
- Flipkart co-founder Sachin Bansal will exit the company and sell his entire 5.5 percent stake to Walmart.
- Walmart also plans to pump $2 billion (nearly Rs 13,000 crore) as fresh equity into Flipkart to strengthen its hold on the e-commerce firm.
eBay to sell a stake in Flipkart for about $1.1 billion, to relaunch eBay India.
- US-based eBay on Wednesday said it plans to sell its stake in Flipkart for about $1.1 billion.
- The statement by eBay came after Walmart Inc announced that it is buying 77 percent stake in Flipkart for about $16 billion.
- Only last year, Flipkart group raised $1.4 billion from global technology majors eBay, Tencent and Microsoft.
Japanese retailer Uniqlo opens first Indian store in Delhi next year.
- Fast Retailing Co., owner of the Uniqlo casual-wear brand, will open its first store in India next year.
- The Japanese company’s opening of a New Delhi store in the autumn of 2019 has been long in the making.
- Tadashi Yanai, Fast Retailing’s founder, had sought access to the Indian market as far back as 2011.
Current Affairs May 10 is bringing you with Records, titles and other updates from the world of sports.
Nadal racks up the 48th successive set on clay.
- World number one Rafael Nadal took his clay court winning streak to 48 successive sets with a 6-3, 6-1 win over Gael Monfils.
- Nadal, who has already claimed the 11th title in Monte Carlo and Barcelona this season, also claimed his 20th win in a row on clay.
- He will next face either Spanish compatriot Feliciano Lopez or Diego Schwartzman of Argentina for a place in the quarter-finals.
- A win in that match will take Nadal past John McEnroe’s record of 49 straight sets won on any surface.
Afghanistan to host Bangladesh T20s in India.
- Afghanistan will host Bangladesh for three T20 Internationals in Dehradun prior to the strife-torn nation’s historic one-off Test against India.
- The Rajiv Gandhi International Cricket Stadium will host the three day-night fixtures, scheduled for June 3, 5 and 7.
- Afghanistan and Bangladesh have only met once previously in the shortest format, with the latter winning by nine wickets at the 2014 ICC World Twenty20.
Barcelona’s Roberto handed four-game ban for striking Marcelo.
- Barcelona defender Sergi Roberto will miss the rest of the Liga season and the first match of the next campaign after being given a four-game ban.
- The Spanish Football Federation (RFEF) announced the ban for “assaulting another player.
- The Spain international will also be suspended for the first Liga game of next season when Barca begin their title defence.
Bravo signs for Middlesex T20 matches.
- West Indies all-rounder Dwayne Bravo has signed for English county side Middlesex for this year’s Twenty20 Vitality Blast.
- Bravo will represent Middlesex in the first six matches of the campaign, making his debut against Surrey at Lord’s on July 5.
- Dwayne is one of the most exciting and best T20 players in the world, said Middlesex managing director of cricket Angus Fraser.
West Brom relegated from Premier League, Southampton win.
- West Brom was relegated from the Premier League on Tuesday after Southampton.
- The result means Southampton move up to 16th in the table, three points clear of 18th-place Swansea.
- Southampton now has 36 points three more than Swansea, who entertain relegated Stoke on Sunday.