Daily Current Affairs May 11
Have complete information about National News by reading below Current Affairs May 11
PM Narendra Modi’s Nepal visit aimed at healing old wounds, building trust.
- Prime Minister of India Narendra Modi is arriving in Nepal on Friday for a two-day state visit at the invitation of Nepalese Prime Minister K P Sharma Oli.
- Modi will directly land in historical Janakpur, a sub-metropolitan city, where he will offer special prayers before flying to Muktinath.
- Modi will be accorded a public reception in both Janakpur and Kathmandu as well as a guard of honour by the Nepal Army.
IAF successfully conducts the online test for recruiting airmen.
- The Indian Air Force successfully conducted scheduled test for airmen recruitment (STAR) online last week for the first time.
- The online examination was successfully conducted at 439 centres spread over 102 cities across the country from May 3-6.
- The statement said 3,20,678 candidates (78.37 percent) out of those who had registered appeared for the online test.
The US approves the appointment of Pakistan’s new ambassador.
- The US has approved the appointment of a prominent Pakistani investment banker Ali Jahangir Siddiqui as the country’s new envoy in Washington.
- In March, the Pakistan government had announced that Siddiqui, a Karachi-based businessman, would be the country’s next ambassador to the US.
- But the agreement for the new envoy was received by the Pakistan Embassy only two days ago, Pakistan’s Ambassador to the US Aizaz Ahmad Chaudhary said.
J&K launches fellowship named after Mufti Sayeed.
- The Jammu and Kashmir government has launched a fellowship named after former chief minister Mufti Mohammad Sayeed.
- According to Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti’s education advisor Dr Amitabh Mattoo, the objective of the fellowship is “to provide global opportunities to the best and brightest minds.
- Depending on the courses opted for by the applicants, the universities will provide degrees, diplomas or certificates.
Google doodle pays tribute to legendary Indian classical dancer Mrinalini Sarabhai.
- Today is noted danseuse and Padma Bhushan recipient Mrinalini Sarabhai’s 100th birthday and in honour of the legendary dancer.
- Mrinalini Sarabhai is shown with her signature parasol, standing proudly in the auditorium Darpana Academy of Performing Arts.
- Fondly known as Amma, she was trained in Bharatnatyam, Kathakali and Mohiniyattom.
- Mrinalini Sarabhai was educated at Shantiniketan under Rabindranath Tagore.
Latest International Current Affairs May 11 Updates from around the globe.
Donald Trump says will meet North Korea’s Kim Jong Un on June 12 in Singapore.
- US President Donald Trump on Thursday said he will meet with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un on June 12 in Singapore.
- The highly anticipated meeting between Kim Jong Un and myself will take place in Singapore on June 12th.
- The two leaders will discuss North Korea’s nuclear weapons development and testing program, which has deepened long-seated tensions between Washington and Pyongyang.
SpaceX postpones next-gen reuseable Falcon 9 rocket launch.
- SpaceX aborted the liftoff of its new Falcon 9 Block 5 rocket, which the California-based company promises to be more powerful and easier to re-use.
- The next launch opportunity opens May 11, with a slightly more than two-hour window starting at the opening at 4:14 pm and ending at 6:21 pm.
- The rocket’s main goal for its maiden mission is to propel the first high-orbit communications satellite for Bangladesh, called Bangabandhu Satellite-1.
Iran targets Israeli bases across Syrian frontier, Israel pounds Syria.
- Iranian forces in Syria launched a rocket attack on Israeli army bases in the Golan Heights early on Thursday.
- It is prompting one of the heaviest Israeli barrages in Syria since the conflict there began in 2011.
- The attack on the Israeli-occupied Golan Heights, just past midnight, marked the first-time Iranian forces have hit Israel from Syria.
Check out the latest trending business Current Affairs May 11 updates by reading the news.
Oil prices gain as Middle East tensions flare after Trump exits Iran deal.
- Oil extended its three-year high as tensions in the Middle East flared following the US decision to renew sanctions on Iran, OPEC’s third-largest producer.
- Futures in New York added as much as 1.1 percent, reaching the highest level since November 2014.
- West Texas Intermediate crude for June delivery rose as much as 75 cents to $71.89 a barrel on the New York Mercantile Exchange and traded at $71.57 at 10.32 am in London.
Walmart looks to open 50 new stores in India in 4-5 years.
- A day after announcing $16 billion investment in India’s largest online retailer Flipkart, Walmart Inc on Thursday.
- It said it will continue to grow its wholesale cash-and-carry business, adding 50 new stores in the next four-five years.
- Plans are on track,” Walmart India president and CEO Krish Iyer said at a select media roundtable called to explain the Flipkart deal.
- For the cash-and-carry business, Walmart currently operates in 9 states and 19 cities and the future expansion is focused on more or less the same geographies.
India’s biggest M&A deal runs into the political headwind.
- Walmart president and CEO Doug McMillon wanted to fly down to India to discuss the $16-billion Flipkart deal with key functionaries in the Narendra Modi government.
- On most occasions, ministers and top officials would be more than willing to not just discuss the deal but also pose for photographs with a Walmart CEO.
- Walmart is using the e-commerce route to circumvent the rules to attack Indian market.
Google rolls out new voices for Assistant in the US.
- A day after Google announced the addition of six new voices to its Artificial Intelligence (AI)-powered Assistant.
- Google at its annual developer conference Google I/O on Tuesday announced that people would soon have a choice of choosing from six voices.
- With these six options, which feature both male and female voices, there are now four different female voices and four different male voices, all speaking in different tones.
Current Affairs May 11 is bringing you with Records, titles and other updates from the world of sports.
Rishabh Pant smashes maiden IPL hundred.
- Rishabh Pant smashed his maiden hundred in the Indian Premier League, helping Delhi Daredevils overcome a poor start to reach an imposing 187 for five.
- The left-hander was also at his innovative best as he used the scoop shot over the third man not once but thrice.
- The 20th oversaw Pant dispatching Bhuvneshwar for three consecutive sixes, including a one-handed one that sailed over long-on.
Pakistan’s Imam-ul-Haq set for Test debut against Ireland.
- Imam-ul-Haq is set to make his Test debut when Pakistan face Ireland in Dublin on Friday.
- But the 22-year-old left-hander, who hit a hundred on his one-day international debut against Sri Lanka last year.
- Pakistan is without the injured Yasir Shah for a tour where, after their match against Ireland, they will also play two Tests in England.
Manchester City Smash Premier League points record.
- Manchester City crowned a remarkable Premier League season on Wednesday by smashing records for points earned.
- City took their goals tally for the campaign to 105, their points total to 97 and their number of wins to 31, eclipsing previous best marks set by Chelsea.
- The city can become the first team to reach 100 points in an English top-flight season if they beat Southampton on the final day on Sunday.
Former Barcelona midfielder Arda Turan banned for 16-games.
- Basakeshir’s midfielder Arda Turan, who is currently on loan from Barcelona to the Turkish club, received a 16-game ban by the Turkish FA.
- The Turkish player was punished with a 10-match suspension for pushing the assistant referee.
- The 31-year old is also fined 39,000 Turkish lire (£6,811). The incident occurred when Basaksehir were leading 1-0 in the crucial tie between the two teams.