Daily Current Affairs May 24
Have complete information about National News by reading below Current Affairs May 24
Sterlite plant came up in TN after 3 states rejected it.
- At the centre of controversy since it was first proposed in 1995, the four-lakh-tonne-capacity copper smelting plant of Sterlite at Tuticorin was rejected by three states.
- Sharing details around the controversy, Delhi-based think tank Centre for Science and Environment (CSE) on Wednesday.
- CSE alleged the company gave a faulty environmental impact assessment (EIA) report while taking environment clearance (EC).
Govt to hire social media monitors for all 716 districts.
- After its plan to penalise journalists identified as purveyors of fake news was nixed by the PMO.
- The I&B ministry has now decided to set up a social media communication hub and deploy executives to monitor online content across each of India’s 716 districts.
- BECIL’s request for proposal to identify the service provider defines within the scope of work of the agency, the need for a social media analytical (SMA) tool.
Isro looking for industries to participate in the launch of rockets.
- Isro on Wednesday said it was looking at the participation of a consortium of industries in the space agency’s plan to launch 12 to 18 rockets each year.
- It wants the industries to come forward and develop the finished product from raw material to processing, integration, testing and launching of a rocket from Sriharikota.
- Our plan to launch 12 to 18 rockets each year,” said S Pandian, director of Indian Space Research Organisation Propulsion complex at Mahendragiri near Kanyakumari.
Army chief Bipin Rawat to begin 2-day Kashmir visit today.
- Army chief General Bipin Rawat will embark on a two-day visit to Kashmir on Thursday, his first to Jammu and Kashmir.
- Rawat’s visit would come a week after the home ministry announced the Ramzan ceasefire with a rider that the security forces reserved the right to retaliate.
- Jammu and Kashmir police chief SP Vaid said on Tuesday that the ceasefire was holding in the Valley and there had been a general improvement in the law and order situation.
Latest International Current Affairs May 24 Updates from around the globe.
The US gets first black woman nominee for guv.
- Georgia Democrats selected the first black woman to be a major party nominee for governor in the US.
- Abrams also became Georgia’s first black nominee for governor, a prize that has eluded earlier generations of African-American candidates in the state.
- Abrams’s victory came on the 2018 primary night to see Democratic women finding success, as Kentucky, Arkansas and Texas also went to polls.
Emmanuel Macron and Vladimir Putin: ‘Frenemies’ reunited.
- French President Emmanuel Macron travels to St Petersburg on Thursday to seek common ground with Russian President Vladimir Putin.
- The talks between the two come at a crucial time for their relationship which has been marked by sometimes harsh exchanges.
- At their first meeting in the majesty of the Versailles Palace outside Paris, Macron slammed Russian state media publicly for spreading “lying propaganda” during the French election campaign.
Pakistan to hold its general elections on July 25.
- Pakistan will hold its general elections on July 25, a notification issued by the country’s election commission has stated.
- The announcement comes ahead of the expiry of the PML-N government term on May 31.
- If Abbasi and Shah fail to reach a consensus on a candidate, they will have to make public three names each.
Twin spacecraft to track Earth’s water cycle successfully launched.
- A twin spacecraft to track the global water cycle has been successfully launched aboard a SpaceX rocket.
- The Gravity Recovery and Climate Experiment Follow-On (GRACE-FO) is a joint mission by NASA and the German Research Centre for Geosciences (GFZ).
- It lifted off on a SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket from the Vandenberg Air Force Base in California, US, sharing their ride into space with five Iridium NEXT communications satellites.
London mosque becomes first to declare cryptocurrencies halal.
- A mosque in East London has become the first in the UK to declare cryptocurrencies, like Bitcoin, halal.
- Cryptocurrency is a form of digital money that is designed to be secure and, in many cases, anonymous.
- Due to its anonymous nature, Bitcoin has become associated with buying unlawful items online.
Check out the latest trending business Current Affairs May 24 updates by reading the news.
Binani Cement lenders postpone meet on UltraTech plan.
- The committee of creditors’ (CoC) meet with respect to insolvent Binani Cement, which was scheduled for Thursday.
- It is postponed as the resolution plan submitted by UltraTech Cement in the “format acceptable” to the creditors is still being negotiated.
- The resolution professional (RP) of insolvent Binani Cement said verification of over 100 new claims was being completed on Wednesday.
Pakistan borrows $1 billion from Chinese banks to avoid forex crisis.
- Pakistan has once again turned to its all-weather ally China for help in averting a foreign currency crisis by borrowing $1 billion from Chinese banks in April.
- In an interview with The Financial Times, the State Bank of Pakistan Governor Tariq Bajwa confirmed the loans were made by Beijing-backed banks on good rates.
- Pakistan’s foreign exchange reserves have dropped from USD 18.1 billion in April last year to USD 10.8 billion in May this year.
Bhushan Steel acquisition likely to raise Tata Steel’s leverage.
- Rating agency Fitch on May 23 said Tata Steel’s acquisition of controlling stake in Bhushan Steel is likely to raise its leverage over the next two to three years.
- Tata Steel Ltd (TSL), which won the bid for Bhushan Steel Ltd (BSL) under the insolvency process.
- It completed the acquisition of controlling stake of 72.65 percent in the debt-laden firm last week.
MediaTek Helio P22 processor with AI enhancements launched in India.
- Expanding its “Helio P” family of power-efficient chips for mid-range devices.
- Mobile phone chipmaker MediaTek launched Helio P22 processor in India.
- MediaTek Helio P22 is the first to bring the 12nm manufacturing process to the mid-range mobile segment.
- We expect continued device maker wins and consumer growth in this segment with MediaTek’s new Helio P22 chipset, Lee added.
BlackBerry to return to India soon with Android, top-end specs.
- Optiemus Infracom is going to launch a new BlackBerry smartphone in India by end of the next quarter.
- The company owns the rights for manufacturing and distribution of BlackBerry phones in select markets such as India and Nepal.
- Singh also hinted that the company will be launching BlackBerry phones with physical keyboards – an iconic BlackBerry feature.
Current Affairs May 24 is bringing you with Records, titles and other updates from the world of sports.
Tejaswini wins gold, Chain Singh silver at Munich World Cup.
- Tejaswini Sawant nailed a gold in the women’s 50m Rifle Prone event on the opening day of ISSF World Cup Rifle/Pistol stage in Munich.
- Sawant shot 621.4 to pip younger teammate Anjum Moudgil, who shot 621.2 to win silver in the event.
- Sawant had won a gold at the recently-concluded Gold Coast Commonwealth Games in Australia.
AB de Villiers retires from international cricket.
- South African superstar AB de Villiers has retired from all forms of cricket with immediate effect on Wednesday.
- The first of de Villiers’ two Test double-centuries was an attacking 217 not out against India in Ahmedabad in April 2008.
- In January 2015 de Villiers broke the record for the fastest ever ODI hundred.
India out of Uber Cup after losing 0-5 to Japan.
- Saina Nehwal squandered four match points in her singles match as a young Indian women team bowed out of the Uber Cup.
- India had won two bronze medals in the last edition but the team without top shuttlers such as PV Sindhu and Ashwini Ponnappa.
- Doubles pair of Sanyogita Ghorpade and Prajakta Sawant then lost 15-21 6-21 to world no 4 Ayaka Takahashi and Misaki Matsutomo.
Unai Emery succeeds Wenger as Arsenal manager.
- Arsenal announced former Paris Saint-Germain coach Unai Emery as their new boss on Wednesday.
- The Spaniard, who won the domestic treble with PSG this season, emerged as the shock favourite to replace Arsene Wenger.
- Wenger departed at the end of the season following a 22-year reign, with the club finishing sixth in the Premier League.
Manchester United named most valuable football team.
- Manchester United may have finished second in the English Premier League this season but the club is top of the table in terms of overall value.
- The Red Devils’ overall value increased five percent compared to 2017 to more than 3.2 billion euros.
- Beating Real Madrid on 2.9 billion euros and FC Barcelona on 2.8 billion euros.
- In total, the financial value of the 32 clubs reached an estimated 32.5 billion euros, a 9 percent increase on 2017.