Daily Current Affairs April 2
Have complete information about National News by reading below Current Affairs April 2
India will play a supportive role in Nepal’s development: PM Oli.
- India will play a supportive role in Nepal’s development, Prime Minister K P Sharma Oli said on Sunday.
- Oli will be on a three-day visit to India from April 6 during which he would hold talks with Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
- The Nepalese premiere’s entourage will include ministers, members of Parliament, secretaries and other high-ranking government officials.
Read More Previous Current Affairs
Rajnath hosts dinner for Padma awardees.
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh on Sunday night hosted a dinner for 41 prominent people, who will be honoured with Padma awards today.
- A home ministry official said this was the second time that such a dinner was organised for the Padma awardees by the home minister.
- These Padma awardees, who have been working tirelessly, are the torchbearers of the “New India”, the official said.
- External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj and MoS Home Kiren Rijiju will also be present.
MP Tendulkar donates entire salary to PM’s Relief Fund.
- Sachin Tendulkar, whose term as Rajya Sabha MP ended recently, has donated his entire salary and allowances to the Prime Minister’s Relief Fund.
- In the past six years, Tendulkar has drawn nearly Rs 90 lakh in salaries and other monthly allowances.
- Tendulkar, along with veteran actress Rekha, has been criticised for their poor attendance in the Parliament all these years.
Isro confirms losing contact with communication satellite GSAT-6A.
- The Indian Space Research Organisation (Isro) lost the contact with GSAT-6A in less than 48 hours after it launched.
- While Isro says it is trying re-establish link, sources attributed the failure to a power system failure.
- The initial analysis points to a power system failure, but Isro has not officially confirmed anything.
- This was Isro’s first launch after Sivan took charge, even as the mission itself was conceived and developed before his time.
J-K panchayat elections likely in summer.
- The Jammu & Kashmir (J&K) government is likely to hold panchayat elections in the state after the annual Amarnath pilgrimage this summer.
- According to the official quoted above, the government is concerned about tourism this season.
- According to the government, 73 lakh tourists arrived in the state in 2017, compared to 84 lakhs in 2016 and 92 lakh in 2015.
- The state had formulated a policy in 2010 for Kashmiris who had gone to Pakistan-occupied Kashmir for arms training but wanted to come back.
Latest International Current Affairs April 2 Updates from around the globe.
China’s space lab set to hit Earth over next 24 hours.
- China’s space lab, Tiangong-1, is expected to come crashing back to Earth in a fiery ball over the next 24 hours.
- It ceased functioning and went out of control in mid-2017.
- Chinese experts tried to allay fears, saying that the falling of the 40-foot-long Tiangong-1.
Nepali Sherpa aims for record 22nd Everest summit.
- A Nepali Sherpa is hoping to summit Mount Everest for a record-breaking 22nd time next month.
- But to Kami Rita Sherpa, who has worked as a guide on Everest for over two decades, climbing to 8,848 metres (29,029 feet) is a job not a record-shattering feat.
- When 48-year-old Kami Rita first summited Everest in 1994, he was one of just 49 climbers to reach the peak.
IOC president meets North Korean leader Kim.
- International Olympic Committee President Thomas Bach met with Kim Jong Un in Pyongyang.
- The North Korean leader is committed to having his country participate in the 2020 Tokyo Summer Olympics.
- That was Kim’s first known trip abroad since he assumed power after the death of his father in late 2011.
- Kim is to meet with South Korean President Moon Jae-in on April 27.
Check out the latest trending business Current Affairs April 2 updates by reading the news.
The CNG piped cooking gas prices hiked in Delhi, NCR.
- CNG prices in the national capital hiked by 90 paise per kg and that of piped cooking gas by Rs 1.15, following government raising input natural gas rates to two years high.
- CNG price in Delhi will be Rs 40.61 per kg and Rs 47.05 in Noida, Greater Noida and Ghaziabad, effective from today midnight.
- The price of CNG being supplied in Rewari is being increased by 95 paise per kg from Rs 50.67 per kg to Rs 51.62 per kg.
- Natural gas prices have been raised by 6 percent to $ 3.06 per million British thermal unit.
India is world’s second largest mobile phone producer.
- India is now the second largest mobile phone producer in the world after China, as per information shared by the Indian Cellular Association.
- ICA national president Pankaj Mohindroo said India has now emerged as the second largest producer of the mobile handset by volume.
- ICA referred to data available from market research firm IHS, China’s National Bureau of Statistics and Vietnam General Statistics Office.
- India replaced Vietnam to become the second largest producer of mobile phones in 2017.
- With the rise in mobile phone production, imports of devices in the country also reduced to less than half in 2017-18.
Google to kill its URL shortener ‘goo.gl’.
- Google has announced it is winding down its URL shortener named goo.gl starting April 13.
- FDLs are smart URLs that allow one to send existing and potential users to any location within an iOS, Android or web platform.
- The goo.gl URL Shortener is very common and was first launched by the search engine giant in 2009.
Ebix set to buy forex unit of Centrum.
- Nasdaq-listed Ebix Inc is set to acquire India’s leading airport foreign exchange provider Centrum Direct.
- Atlanta-headquartered software and e-commerce company Ebix has made an offer to buy 100% stake in the foreign exchange business unit of Centrum Group.
- Former Standard Chartered honcho Bindra, who emerged as Centrum’s co-promoter, has pursued a business streamlining exercise at Centrum.
Amul Dairy MD resigns amid corruption & allegations.
- The managing director of Anand-based Kaira District Co-operative Milk Producers Union Limited has resigned.
- While K Rathnam’s resignation comes amidst allegations of an Rs 450-crore corruption in allocation of tenders.
- A statement issued by the Amul Dairy said Jayen Mehta, senior general manager (planning and marketing), has been appointed as in charge MD of Kaira Milk Union.
- Rathnam said he resigned as he wanted to spend time with family living in Tamil Nadu and the United States.
Current Affairs April 2 is bringing you with Records, titles and other updates from the world of sports.
Manchester City one win from the title.
- Manchester City is one win away from winning the Premier League title after a 3-1 victory over Everton.
- Pep Guardiola’s side maintained their 16-point lead at the top thanks to a scintillating first-half display at Goodison Park.
- They won the League Cup already, City next faces a Champions League quarter-final first leg against Liverpool on Wednesday.
Pakistan thrash West Indies and register record 2nd biggest win in T20 Internationals.
- Pakistan downed a depleted West Indies side by 143 runs in the first of three Twenty20s in Karachi.
- The hosts had equalled their highest-ever T20 score of 203-5, with Hussain Talat top-scoring with a 37-ball 41.
- The West Indies were bowled out for their lowest T20 total of 60 in 13.4 overs.
Kerala beat Bengal to win Santosh Trophy.
- Kerala beat defending champions Bengal4-2 on penalties after the final ended 2-2.
- MS Jithin scored in the 19th minute for Kerala while Jiten Murmu drew level for Bengal in the 68th minute.
- Bengal skipper Jiten Murmu tried his luck after the half-hour mark from range but the ball went over the bar.