Daily Current Affairs May 20
Have complete information about National News by reading below Current Affairs May 20
Shivangi Pathak Becomes Youngest Indian Woman to Scale Mount Everest.
- India’s Shivangi Pathak has become youngest women of the country to scale Mt Everest from Nepal side.
- According to the Managing Director of Seven Summit Treks, Mingma Sherpa, 16-year-old Haryana Born Shivangi successfully stood atop world’s highest mountain.
- Arunima Sinha was the first Indian amputee to climb Mt Everest.
- In 2014, 13-year-old Malavath Poorna from India had climbed Mt Everest from Tibet side and became the youngest girl in the world to the summit at Everest.
Netherlands PM Mark Rutte to be on 2-Day Official Visit to India.
- Prime Minister of The Netherlands, Mark Rutte, will be on a two-day official visit to India with an aim to boost the economic and political cooperation between the two countries.
- During the visit, the India-Dutch CEOs forum will take place in New Delhi. India and The Netherlands have a bilateral trade of 5.39 billion dollars.
- The Netherlands is the 5th largest investor in India.
NITI Aayog’s 3-Day Venture Capital Symposium 2018 Begins.
- NITI Aayog, in association with Vision India Foundation, is organising the Venture Capital Symposium 2018 to deepen the economic relationships between France and India.
- The Venture Capital Symposium 2018 is a three-day event where the French investors will be interacting with 100 early to mid-stage Indian start-ups.
- Amitabh Kant, CEO, NITI Aayog, along with Atul Chaturvedi, Additional Secretary, DIPP addressed the inaugural address of the Symposium, which was attended by Alexandre Ziegler, Ambassador of France to India.
Union Government extends the last date for filing of form GSTR-3B by 2 days till May 22.
- The Union government extended the last date for filing of form GSTR-3B for April by two days till 22nd of this month.
- An official statement said that it was brought to the notice of the competent authority that certain technical issues are being faced by the taxpayers.
- In order to resolve the same, emergency maintenance is being carried out on the system.
PM Modi Laid Foundation Stone of India’s Longest Road Tunnel in J&K.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi is on a day-long visit to Jammu and Kashmir.
- During his visit, Prime Minister laid down the foundation stone of ‘Zojila Tunnel’ on the Srinagar-Leh National Highway in Leh.
- The 14.2-kilometre long Zojila tunnel will be India’s longest road tunnel and Asia’s longest bidirectional tunnel.
- Prime Minister Modi also dedicated to the nation a 330 MW Kishenganga hydroelectric project from Srinagar.
- There are 7 functional NHPC power projects in J&K. The project has been built at a cost of Rs 5200 Cr.
Latest International Current Affairs May 20 Updates from around the globe.
World’s first floating nuclear power station opened in Russia.
- Russia has unveiled the world’s first floating nuclear power station to meet its growing electricity needs.
- The ship holds two 35 megawatt nuclear reactors that can produce enough electricity to power a town of 200,000 residents.
- It will be primarily used to power oil rigs as Russia pushes further north into the Arctic to drill for oil and gas and needs electricity in far-flung locations.
UN to send War Crimes Investigators to Gaza.
- UN Human Rights Council has voted to send a team of international War Crimes Investigators to probe the deadly shootings of Gaza protesters by Israeli forces.
- The resolution was backed by 29 members while 2 members US and Australia voted against and 14 abstained.
- Israel has defended the killing of protesters, saying it was acting in self-defence to protect its borders and communities.
Check out the latest trending business Current Affairs May 20 updates by reading the news.
World Bank extends $300 million credit.
- The World Bank Board of Executive Directors approved a $220 million loan and an $80 million (Rs 544 crore) guarantee for the India Energy Efficiency Scale-Up Program.
- The Program will be implemented by the Energy Efficiency Services Limited (EESL).
- This will help scale up the deployment of energy saving measures in residential and public sectors, strengthen ESL’s institutional capacity.
Green Good Deeds’ gets global recognition.
- Green Good Deeds, the societal movement launched by Union Minister for Environment, Dr Harsh Vardhan has found acceptance by the global community.
- The movement aims to protect the environment and promote good living in the country.
- The ongoing BRICS Ministerial on Environment in South Africa has agreed to include “Green Good Deeds” in its official agenda in the next Ministerial in Brazil.
Appointment & Resignations Affairs
Anil Kumar Jha takes the appointment as CMD of Coal India Ltd.
- Anil Kumar Jha has been appointed as the Chairman-Cum-Managing director (CMD) of Coal India Limited.
- Kumar is at present the CMD of Mahanadi Coalfields Ltd.
- Anil Kumar will replace acting chairman Suresh Kumar, an IAS officer, who has been holding the post of additional secretary at the ministry of coal.
- CIL is a state-owned coal mining company headquartered in Kolkata.
Amit Khare takes the appointment as new I&B secretary.
- Senior bureaucrat Amit Khare takes the appointment as the new Secretary of the Information and Broadcasting Ministry.
- Khare, a 1985-batch IAS officer, is at present serving in his cadre state Jharkhand.
- He had in June 1996 reportedly exposed the multi-crore fodder scam, involving the then Chief Minister of Bihar, Lalu Prasad.
- He will take over the charge from incumbent NK Sinha.
Yeddyurappa resigns as Karnataka CM.
- The Karnataka government led by B.S. Yeddyurappa resigned before facing a crucial trust vote in the assembly.
- The floor test was to be conducted after Congress-JD (S) alliance claimed the right to form the government on the basis of the 117 seats it had.
- BJP with 104 seats, was eight short of the majority-mark of 111.
Current Affairs May 20 is bringing you with Records, titles and other updates from the world of sports.
Simona Halep retained top spot in WTA rankings.
- Romanian tennis star Simona Halep has retained her numero-uno spot in the Women’s Tennis Association (WTA) Rankings.
- Halep maintains a lead of 425 points over second-placed Caroline Wozniacki of Denmark.
- After the 2017 Wimbledon Championships, Simona Halep became the active player with the most consecutive weeks within the Top 10.
- Halep started her 2018 season by winning the Shenzhen Open.