Daily Current Affairs May 21
Have complete information about National News by reading below Current Affairs May 21
TDP chief likely to attend Kumaraswamy’s swearing-in ceremony.
- Andhra Pradesh chief minister N Chandrababu Naidu is expected to attend the swearing-in of HD Kumaraswamy as chief minister of Karnataka today.
- Naidu’s cabinet colleagues have suggested that he attend the ceremony given his closeness to former Prime Minister HD Deve Gowda.
- The TDP chief discussed the issue with ministers through teleconference. He said Kumaraswamy had invited him for the function.
Indo-China ties may get a leg up with tourism and cultural initiatives.
- Weeks after Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s informal summit with President Xi Jinping in the Chinese city of Wuhan to reset bilateral relations.
- On May 9, tourism minister KJ Alphons attended a conference on tourism in Wuhan for delegates to the Shanghai Cooperation Organization (SCO).
- Which also groups China, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Russia, Tajikistan, Uzbekistan and Pakistan.
Government earns Rs 1,400 crore as revenue from e-tourist visa.
- The government has earned Rs 1,400 crore as revenue from the highly successful e-Visa scheme, offered to citizens of 163 countries.
- Union Home Ministry officials said the popular e-Visa scheme was availed by 19 lakh tourists in 2017.
- It is expected that more than 25 lakh tourists will avail the facility in 2018.
- Since its launch in 2014, the e-Visa scheme has earned revenue of more than Rs 1,400 crore, a senior home ministry official said.
- The facility is now available for nationals of 163 countries for entry into India through 25 international airports and five seaports.
India’s 50 busiest airports to reach capacity this year.
- At least 25 of the 50 busiest airports in India are already operating beyond their capacity, while almost all the others will reach optimal capacity in 2018-19.
- Experts say the figures only show overall capacity, but in peak hours, all these airports operate beyond capacity leading to long queues at check-in counters.
- Minister of state for civil aviation Jayant Sinha, while announcing the expansion work, had said that Rs1 lakh crore would be invested to increase the capacity of Indian airports.
Railways plans to go veg on Gandhi Jayanti.
- The railways plan to serve only vegetarian food on its premises, stations and on trains on October 2 to celebrate the 150th birth anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi.
- The national transporter also plans to appeal to all its employees to eat vegetarian food on that day.
- A senior official said the railway board has proposed that no non-vegetarian food will be served to passengers on railway premises on October 2 in 2018, 2019 and 2020 during the years of celebration.
PM Narendra Modi leaves for Russia, to meet President Putin today.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi will meet Russian President Vladimir Putin in the city of Sochi today, as two take part in an informal summit.
- The summit is being held on the lines of the Wuhan informal summit between PM Modi and Chinese Premier Xi Jinping.
- The meeting between the two leaders is the first since the re-election of Putin as the President of Russia.
Latest International Current Affairs May 21 Updates from around the globe.
Pope Francis to create 14 new cardinals in June.
- Pope Francis announced on Sunday he has chosen 14 men to be the newest cardinals in the church, among them his chief aide for helping Rome’s homeless and poor.
- Among the new cardinals is Louis Raphael I Sako, the Baghdad-based patriarch of Babylonia of the Chaldeans.
- Also to be made cardinal is Joseph Coutts, Archbishop of Karachi, Pakistan.
Pak’s Punjab govt releases Rs 20 million to renovate Krishna temple in Rawalpindi.
- Pakistan’s Punjab province government has released Rs 20 million to renovate a Krishna temple in Rawalpindi city.
- Mohammad Asif, the Evacuee Trust Property Board (ETPB) Deputy Administrator, said the government has released Rs 20 million to reconstruct the temple.
- The official said the temple could accommodate the local Hindu community from the twin cities and nearby areas.
China to purchase more US goods to reduce the trade deficit.
- China will ramp up its purchase of US goods to reduce its massive trade imbalance with the United States, the two countries said in a joint statement.
- The US will send a team to China to work out the details, the joint statement at the conclusion of the trade delegation-level talks between the two countries on May 17 and 18.
- The two trade delegations agreed to encourage two-way investment and to strive to create a fair, level playing field for competition.
Check out the latest trending business Current Affairs May 21 updates by reading the news.
Hero’s cheapest bicycle priced at Rs 1999, likely to take launch by June end.
- Putting an end to all speculations, bicycle manufacturer Hero Cycles on Sunday announced that it will come out with the cheapest bicycle in the country, which will be priced at Rs 1999.
- Popular as ‘black bicycle’, this basic model has been designed at Hero’s Manchester-based Global Design Center (HGD) for daily commuters.
- Munjal, however, said, “Our new roadster will not be a rehash of the old model, but it will be an entirely new product, built from the ground up.
China pledges ‘significantly’ more US buying, no trade war.
- China will “significantly increase purchases” of US goods, the White House said as Beijing’s special envoy at talks in Washington declared a trade war has been averted between the world’s two largest economies.
- President Donald Trump’s top economic adviser suggesting Beijing had agreed to slash its annual trade surplus with the US by $200 billion.
- China agreed to “meaningful increases in US agriculture and energy exports,” the White House said, adding that the US will send a team to China to work out the details.
App developers want better revenue cut from Apple.
- A group of iOS developers has called on Apple to commit to allowing free trials for all apps in the App Stores by July while adding that it would eventually demand “reasonable revenue cut”.
- Apple currently receives a 30% cut of what revenue developers earn from the App Store.
- The group, which calls themselves “The Developers Union”, detailed their demands in an open letter to the tech giant.
Rajinder Singh named Hockey India president.
- Rajinder Singh is the new president of Hockey India (HI), following Mariamma Koshy’s resignation from the post.
- Singh, who is the Senior Vice President of HI will take charge as President from today, according to the media release.
- He was earlier the Treasurer of HI and currently serves as the Treasurer of Hockey Jammu & Kashmir.
Current Affairs May 21 is bringing you with Records, titles and other updates from the world of sports.
Nadal wins eighth Rome Masters title after stunning comeback.
- Rafael Nadal won the Rome Masters for the eighth time on Sunday when he defeated defending champion Alexander Zverev.
- German second seed Zverev was 3-1 up in the decider before two rain stoppages halted his momentum.
- Zverev, 21, came to the court riding a 13-match win streak which included last weekend’s trophy in Madrid.
- Nadal remains the best clay-courter of the Open Era with an astonishing 408-36 record.
Bangladesh recalls Mosaddek for T20 series against Afghanistan.
- Bangladesh recalled batsman Mosaddek Hossain in their 15-man squad for the three-match Twenty20 matches against Afghanistan in India next month.
- Mosaddek, who has not played T20 international cricket for more than a year, replaces batsman Imrul Kayes.
- Afghanistan will host Bangladesh for the inaugural series in the Indian city of Dehradun from June 3 to 7.
- Afghanistan prepares for their first-ever Test against India in Bangalore from June 14 to 18.
Rebic ruins Heynckes farewell as Frankfurt shock Bayern in the cup final.
- Ante Rebic ruined Jupp Heynckes’ farewell as Bayern Munich coach with the Croatia striker scoring twice as Eintracht Frankfurt.
- The victory yesterday gave Eintracht boss Niko Kovac his first trophy as a coach.
- This is his final match before leaving to take over from Heynckes at Bayern.
Chelsea beat Manchester United 1-0 to win FA Cup.
- Eden Hazard’s first-half penalty proved decisive as Chelsea salvaged their season by beating Manchester United 1-0 in the FA Cup final.
- Chelsea, whose Premier League title defence fizzled out into a fifth-placed finish, survived several scares.
- It was only Mourinho’s third defeat in 15 Cup finals as a manager.
Svitolina stuns Halep to win Italian Open.
- Elina Svitolina underlined her status as a top favourite for the French Open by sweeping Simona Halep to successfully defend her Italian Open crown on Sunday.
- The win also marked Svitolina’s 12th career title on what was her eighth final in succession.
- Halep, who was broken four times and lost the opening set in 19 minutes, did not win a game till the start of the second, 24 minutes in.
Andres Iniesta, Fernando Torres has given emotional La Liga send offs on season’s final day.
- Barcelona captain Andres Iniesta lifted a ninth Liga title after his side beat Real Sociedad.
- While Fernando Torres scored twice in his final game for Atletico Madrid.
- The captain returned with his teammates to lift the club’s 25th Liga title and also show off the King’s Cup trophy.