Daily Current Affairs May 25
Have complete information about National News by reading below Current Affairs May 25
Govt to give UP Rs 1,200 crore for ‘mega’ Ardh Kumbh.
- The Centre plans to turn the next ‘Ardh Kumbh’ in Allahabad, which to take place in January 2019.
- The board has sanctioned Rs 1,200 crore to the Uttar Pradesh government for hosting the mega event.
- The UP government, which will host the event at the confluence of Ganga and Yamuna rivers in Allahabad, will be getting Rs 1200 crore from the Centre.
Dutch Prime Minister Mark Rutte cuts short India visit.
- Dutch Prime Minister Mark Rutte has cut short his visit to India and is returning to the Netherlands tonight.
- The Dutch Prime Minister is returning to his country due to some urgent reasons, the sources said.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Rutte held delegation-level talks to step up economic and political ties between the two countries.
The Indo-Bangladesh border will be sealed by December: Sarbananda Sonowal.
- The Centre is building walls on the water to seal the 48.11-kilometre river portion of the 263-kilometre-long Indo-Bangladesh stretch.
- Chief minister Sarbananda Sonowal said that the border will be completely sealed by December-end.
- Sealing the India-Bangladesh border was one of our poll promises. The border will be completely sealed by December 31 this year.
Karnataka CM Kumaraswamy to face floor test today.
- Karnataka chief minister HD Kumaraswamy will face a floor test on Friday, which he is widely expected to sail through, barring any unforeseeable events.
- BJP’s BS Yeddyurappa, who was sworn in as the chief minister on May 17, had stepped down two days later in the face of imminent.
- Ramesh Kumar of Congress too filed his nomination for the post as the candidate of the ruling coalition.
India seeks Australia’s help to combat Nipah virus.
- The Indian Council for Medical Research (ICMR) has written to the Queensland government in Australia asking it to provide an antibody developed there to test if it can “neutralise” the virus in humans.
- ICMR is the apex body in India for the formulation, coordination and promotion of biomedical research.
- According to Dr Bhargava, Australia is ready to share as it will help generate data on the efficacy of the antibody.
Chinese minister’s India visits next month to boost bilateral ties.
- China’s vice foreign minister Kong Xuanyou will arrive in New Delhi next month for a round of meetings with top Indian officials.
- The visit by Kong, Beijing’s point man for Asian and North Korean affairs, will be part of a series of high-level visits from both sides.
- Kong, who will be in New Delhi on June 5, will meet foreign secretary Vijay Gokhale for discussions on a wide range of issues.
Patanjali group to start channels in three languages.
- Yoga guru Ramdev’s Patanjali group will hit the airwaves in the next month with three new channels offering spiritual content in Kannada, Telugu and Tamil.
- The ministry of information and broadcasting (I&B) has given Vedic Broadcasting, a part of the Patanjali Group, the go-ahead to launch the channels.
- An official in the I&B ministry said the channels have been given permission along with several others after due process.
Latest International Current Affairs May 25 Updates from around the globe.
China tests 1st drone-carried meteorological data monitor to gauge atmosphere.
- China has successfully tested its first drone-carried meteorological data monitor to undertake atmospheric observations.
- The unmanned aircraft vehicle will carry the dropsonde, also known as the meteorological data monitor.
- They will drop it at an altitude of 6,000 metres to measure atmospheric profiles.
- The dropsonde carried by the Unmanned Aircraft Vehicle (UAV) was produced by the Second Institute of China Aerospace Science and Industry Corporation Limited.
Putin picks ex-deputy PM Rogozin as head of space agency.
- President Vladimir Putin on Thursday picked former Deputy Prime Minister Dmitry Rogozin as head of the space agency Roscosmos.
- Over the past few years, the Russian space industry has suffered a series of setbacks including the loss of a number of satellites and other spacecraft.
- As deputy prime minister between 2011 and May 2018, Rogozin was responsible for overseeing the defence and space industries.
The US withdraws naval drill invite to China, Beijing scolds Washington for ignoring facts.
- China’s defence ministry expressed regret on Thursday after the United States withdrew an invitation to China to attend a major US-hosted naval drill.
- The Rim of the Pacific exercise, known as RIMPAC and previously attended by China, is billed as the world’s largest international maritime exercise.
- China’s island-building programme in the South China Sea has sparked concern around the region and in Washington about Chinese intentions.
Check out the latest trending business Current Affairs May 25 updates by reading the news.
E-logistics co to launch world’s 1st e-freight passage.
- Indian e-logistics company Cogoport has announced that it will establish the world’s first digital freight corridor to enable Indian traders to connect to European markets.
- The Port of Amsterdam said it will be competing for the operations of the Mumbai cruise terminal jointly with JM Baxi.
- The announcements came during the Indo-Dutch Forum on ‘Smart and Sustainable Port-led Development’in Mumbai.
NCLAT rules out any fresh bids for Bhushan Power.
- The NCLAT on Thursday declines a request from the committee of creditors asking Tata Steel and UK-based Liberty House be allowed to submit fresh bids for the bankrupt Bhushan Power and Steel.
- However, bids from both parties are to be evaluated, as per the NCLAT’s orders on May 9.
- The decision is important since Liberty’s bid had come in only on February 20, well past the deadline of February 8.
Bank unions call for two-day nationwide strike from May 30.
- Employees and officers of various state-run banks have called for a two-day nationwide strike from May 30.
- To protest a nominal 2% wage hike offered by the Indian Banks’ Association (IBA).
- In the wage negotiation meeting held on May 5, 2018, IBA made a proposition to offer 2% hike in the wage bill cost as on March 31, 2017.
- Bank employees have organised a demonstration on May 29 at State Bank of India’ branch main branch at the Fort area in Mumbai
Instagram now allows users to mute accounts.
- Facebook-owned Instagram has rolled out a new feature that allows users to mute some accounts.
- So that they can continue following them without having to stumble upon their posts repeatedly.
- When you mute an account, you can still see posts on their profile page and get notified about comments or posts you’re tagged in.
Ireland’s Ed Joyce retires from cricket.
- Dual international Ed Joyce on Thursday announced his retirement from all forms of cricket less than a fortnight after realising his dream of playing a Test for Ireland.
- The 39-year-old was one of the 11 men who made history against Pakistan in Malahide earlier this month when Ireland became the 11th Test-playing nation.
- Joyce played a total of 78 one day internationals 17 for his adopted country of England and 18 Twenty20 internationals, two for England.
- He returned to the Irish fold in time for the 2011 World Cup and became the side’s senior player as well as one of the most reliable batsmen.
Current Affairs May 25 is bringing you with Records, titles and other updates from the world of sports.
Serena Williams to face Kristyna Pliskova in French Open first round.
- Three-time champion Serena Williams will face Kristyna Pliskova of the Czech Republic in the French Open first round.
- Former world number one Williams is playing a Grand Slam for the first time since she won her 23rd major at the 2017 Australian Open.
- Williams has played just four matches on the tour in 2018 and not featured at all since Miami in March.
Daniel Ricciardo smashes Monaco lap record in practice.
- Daniel Ricciardo lapped Monaco’s metal-fenced streets in record time as Red Bull dominated practice for Formula One’s most glamorous grand pix.
- The 28-year-old Australian set track record times in both sessions, first with a one minute 12.126 lap before lunch.
- Vettel’s best time of 1:12.413 after lunch compared to Hamilton’s 1:12.480 in the earlier practice.
Queiroz to quit as Iran coach after World Cup.
- Carlos Queiroz will not remain at the helm of the Iran national team after the conclusion of the country’s involvement in the World Cup finals in Russia.
- Queiroz, who is in charge of Team Melli from April 2011, is offered an extension to his contract.
- Queiroz, however, qualified South Africa for the World Cup in 2002 only to step down from his position before the finals in Japan and Korea.
Mauricio Pochettino signs new 5-year deal with Tottenham Hotspur.
- Mauricio Pochettino signed a new five-year contract with Tottenham on Thursday, tying him to the Premier League club until 2023.
- Pochettino has coached Tottenham since 2014 and guided the team to top-three finishes in each of the past three seasons.
- Tottenham is also moving into a new stadium, built on the site of club’s White Hart Lane, from next season.