Daily Current Affairs May 8
Have complete information about National News by reading below Current Affairs May 8
Smriti Irani to lead the eight-member panel to Cannes.
- An eight-member delegation led by I&B minister Smriti Irani will represent India at the Cannes Film Festival starting today.
- Showcasing the “best” of Indian cinema, the delegation will take four Indian films to what is known as the world’s largest film market.
- The delegation will be the first since 2002-2003 when Sushma Swaraj was I&B minister.
- It will look at expanding India’s footprint in the co-production treaty market.
Nitish Kumar, Sushil Modi, Rabri Devi take oath as members of Bihar legislative council.
- Ten of the 11 newly elected members of the Bihar legislative council including CM Nitish Kumar, Deputy CM Sushil Kumar Modi took oath as members of the upper house.
- The Council’s acting chairman Haroon Rashid administered an oath of membership to the newly elected members.
- Sources in the BJP said Pandey is currently in Bengaluru engaged in campaigning in favour of the party candidates in Karnataka assembly polls.
PM Modi to address national executives of all BJP wings on May 17.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi will address national executives of all seven wings of the BJP on May 17.
- It is first such meeting and seen as aimed at toning up the party’s organisational machinery in the run-up to the next Lok Sabha polls.
- The day-long exercise is scheduled to be held two days after the announcement of results of Karnataka assembly polls on May 15.
Cabinet secretary PK Sinha gets another one-year extension.
- Cabinet secretary Pradeep Kumar Sinha has got another one-year extension as the country’s top bureaucrat.
- Sinha will continue as cabinet secretary till June 12, 2019, as against his current retirement date of June 12 this year.
- The Appointments Committee of the Cabinet (ACC), headed by Prime Minister Narendra Modi, approved the extension, said an order by the ministry of personnel.
- Sinha, a 1977 batch IAS officer of UP cadre, had been first named as cabinet secretary for a fixed two-year term in May 2015, before which he was serving as power secretary.
Hardeep Puri to inaugurate the first conference of smart cities today.
- Union minister Hardeep Singh Puri will inaugurate the first of its kind conference of the CEOs of the ‘Smart Cities’ today.
- It aims for cross-sharing of knowledge among the cities, the housing and urban affairs ministry said.
- The two-day conference First Apex Conference for the CEOs of Smart Cities’ will be held in Bhopal.
- This is the first such conference after the launch of Smart Cities Mission on June 25, 2015.
Latest International Current Affairs May 8 Updates from around the globe.
US, Philippines launch largest military drills under Rodrigo Duterte.
- US and Philippine forces have begun their largest annual military exercises under President Rodrigo Duterte.
- It will scale down America’s military presence and involvement in combat drills as he sought closer ties with China and Russia.
- The Balikatan exercises opened today and were to involve combat drills in mock urban settings to train special forces in battling terrorists.
Vladimir Putin takes an oath of office for the 4th term as Russian president.
- Vladimir Putin has taken the oath of office for his fourth term as Russian president, in a ceremony in an ornate Kremlin hall glimmering with gold leaf.
- Putin won the six-year term in March elections where he tallied 77 percent of the vote.
- Putin effectively has been the leader of Russia for all of the 21st century.
- He stepped down from the presidency in 2008 because of term limits.
- But was named the prime minister and continued to steer the country until he returned as president in 2012.
New York Attorney General resigns after being accused of physical abuse.
- New York State Attorney General Eric Schneiderman resigned on Monday after allegations of physical abuse by four women.
- Governor Andrew Cuomo called for Schneiderman’s resignation within hours of the article’s publication.
Check out the latest trending business Current Affairs May 8 updates by reading the news.
Nestle pays $7.15 billion to sell Starbucks products.
- Swiss-based food giant Nestle will pay Starbucks $7.15 billion in cash for the rights to sell the U.S. coffee chain’s products around the world.
- The deal on Monday for a business with $2 billion in sales reinforces Nestle’s position as the world’s biggest coffee company.
- Seattle-based Starbucks said it will use proceeds to speed-up share buybacks and the deal would add to earnings per share (EPS) by 2021 at the latest.
India signs up for USD 200-million loan from World Bank for nutrition mission.
- India signed an agreement with the World Bank today for a USD 200-million loan for the National Nutrition Mission (POSHAN Abhiyaan).
- It signs an agreement to achieve its goal of reducing stunting in children aged 0-6 years from 38.4 percent to 25 percent by 2022.
- POSHAN Abhiyaan was launched by Prime Minister Narendra Modi on March 8 in Jhunjhunu in Rajasthan.
Current Affairs May 8 is bringing you with Records, titles and other updates from the world of sports.
Harbhajan Singh launches his talk show.
- Ace Indian spinner Harbhajan Singh on Monday announced the launch of ‘Quick Heal Bhajji Blast with CSK’, a weekly talk show featuring top cricketers from India and aboard.
- During the launch, Harbhajan fielded questions from journalists about this latest undertaking.
- The talk show will have Harbhajan in a candid conversation with his Chennai Super Kings colleagues on subjects ranging from cricket to personal life and anecdotes.
Serbian Mazic to referee Champions League final.
- Serbia’s Milorad Mazic will referee the Champions League final between Real Madrid and Liverpool on May 26 at Kiev’s Olympic Stadium.
- The 45-year-old Mazic, an international referee since 2009, has taken charge of four Champions League matches and two Europa League games this season.
- He also refereed last year’s Confederations Cup final between Chile and Germany, as well as the 2016 UEFA Super Cup match featuring Real Madrid and Sevilla.
India will not play D/N Test in Australia.
- The BCCI has officially informed Cricket Australia that India will not play any Day/Night Test match on their tour Down Under at the end of this year.
- CA wanted the opening Test at Adelaide from December 6-10 to be a pink ball Test match.
- On the other hand, among Indian players, only Cheteshwar Pujara and Murali Vijay have played Day/Night pink ball matches during Duleep Trophy.
Veteran Franck Ribery signs Bayern extension until 2019.
- Veteran winger Franck Ribery, 35, has signed a one-year extension to stay at Bayern Munich until 2019.
- Ribery joined Bayern in 2007, scoring 80 goals in 247 Bundesliga appearances.
- He has won the German league title for a joint record eighth time this season.
Lyricist Gurukrushna Goswami dies at 84.
- Noted Odia lyricist Gurukrushna Goswami died on Sunday at his residence Cuttack following cardiac arrest.
- Goswami is perhaps the lone lyricist from the state to have written as many as 1,600 songs across genres.
- Goswami made his debut in the Odia film industry with the movie Maa in 1958.